09-12-2018, 10:35 PM   #64
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
The power is tempting, just not tempting enough for me anyway (and I'd suffer an extra few 10ths to have the 6-speed). I haven't driven the 2018 refresh, but the 16/17 Mustangs still feel sloppy to me. I have an S197 Bullitt Mustang and I love it dearly, but it's a fun cruiser not a driver like the 128i. I know the new Mustangs will put down similar numbers to an M3, but it's the way they feel when they do it that makes all the difference.

This and the lack of a 2-door hatch are my reasons for passing on the R. I love the way they drive when new, but I'm scared about long-term reliability...and that's from a BMW owner.
The 2018 Mark 7.5 R has a 6 year, 72000 mile warranty. As long as you don't mod it, you should get that. It's a powerful fun little car with a lot of practicality, 4 doors plus hatch, AWD, etc., but like almost all the current vintage cars is a bit sterile, with the EPS and such.

I've been driving my 2000 Z3M coupe the last few days; it's an S52/poor man's M-Coupe (e.g. not the coveted S54 version of which there are 700 odd examples). Although "only" having 240 HP, it's a total hoot to drive, has more than enough power, and is everything that the modern cars are NOT; totally connected, visceral, analog.

Maybe the solution is to just find an old (hopefully MT) car with hydraulic steering to use as a weekend car, then buy something practical that's boring as hell for everyday, but something that gets the job done and has a warranty.