View Single Post
      03-03-2008, 03:09 PM   #88
Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

^^^^

I agree with you on your first point, and I as well certainly take issue with the pricing when the pricing with our pricing being where it is versus our American counterparts. But we benchmarking against a market where BMW is dealing with narrow margins and is therefore reducing sales volumes. I could realistically see it lower than what it is here, but higher than what it is in the US.

I also think you're right in that comparing price points between currencies without taking into account local purchasing power isn't really comparing apples to apples. But whether the car is bought in the UK or bought in the US, its still built in Germany. I suppose the local cost of doing business, which is built into and affects the price is also different between countries. But the point I'm trying to make is that a business will price a product at whatever price they believe the market will withstand for a given sales volume. And as consumers, unless its a product where the demand is inelastic by necessity (like water, milk, gasoline), we can only be taken advantage of to the extent that we allow.

So I think the guys who've cancelled their orders because they felt the price was too high were right to do so. I really respect and even admire that decision (because I know how much people want this car) and the fact that people are voting with their dollars because thats how it should work.

I don't mean to sound too laissez faire here because I'm going to come off as aloof towards high prices, but everything is worth what someone will pay for it. So I guess we'll see a few months from now whether or not the price was too high, if there are dozens of these sitting at lots, then they priced too high, if every 1er sells out, then it'll be hard to argue that they were being ridiculous in their pricing strategy.

I guess I’m not really arguing (or not trying to), whether right or wrong that’s just how I see things... and I've now spent waaay too much of my work day posting on here!:bangdesk: