View Single Post
      07-22-2019, 01:22 PM   #22
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Woah. A lot of different setups and excellent discussion. I personally have learned a lot, so thank you for taking the time to share. I plan to update the OP at some point and compile information shared by everyone. What that looks like i have no clue, but i will take a stab at it and then update based on comments. That way when the time comes to pull the trigger, all of the information will be in one place for anyone to use.

I agree with what others have mentioned, the DIY route is more fun, more rewarding, and usually more cost effective. The problem for me is, fatherhood leaves much less time to work in the garage. It literally took me three weeks to get my front brakes done. Ridiculous, i know. Even though the pre made kits are more expensive, sometimes it feels like that is the only route that makes sense. I am just having a hard time paying the extra price when i know i can do it on my own, thus no oil cooler upgrade yet haha.

Here are some questions based on what has been posted:

- Can someone who has the 180ish degree thermostat please clarify: What does your oil temp get to driving around town? Does it literally stay around 180 or does it get to the 220 range. Asking because that hot rod article says the temp needs to get into the 220 range.

The mosselman parts berns posted are really nice. They are pricey, but the thermostat solution is really appealing. Just want to understand if 180 is too low for a mostly street car.

- AndyW asked this already, but what size AN line is recommended? (nice find on the parts posted by Gary@simod.net, that was another question i was going to ask)

I have seen -8 and -10 mentioned. Anyone know the size of the OE oil cooler hose?

- It would be nice to have part numbers for the oil coolers used so we have an idea of what fits. Based on the size of the ebay cooler bbnks2 was able to fit, it seems a setrab 625 is around the max that will fit.

I can try to find part numbers, but i don't have enough information for some setups posted. berns, are you running the setrab series 1? drunkenup, those coolers are massive; can you please share the brand and part number? Gary@simod.net, what part number is the cooler you T-off to (this was really interesting btw, i have never seen that setup before)? What about your race car setup?

- How can we conclude whether or not the factory thermostat is a restriction? Based on what bbnks2, it doesn't seem to be a restriction.

- Anyone have clearance issues with an aftermarket setup and a CSF radiator? After seeing the clearance between oil lines and the fan shroud in some of the pictures, i went and looked under my hood. My oil lines are basically smushed against the fan shroud because of the extra thickness of the radiator. Some of the pictures have much more room. This is what my car looks like.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0