07-09-2017, 12:18 PM   #3
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-j View Post
I am changing my clutch back to a factory setup (stock dual mass and 550i clutch) finally instead of the clutchmasters smfw and fx350. My question is, now that I am no longer in need of the trans "cocktail" to quiet down the gearbox chatter, what Redline oil is acceptable? MT-90? 75w90ns?
MT90 is probably better but takes a little extra effort when cold. Because of this many are going with redline auto trans fluid. It's thinner and warms up quicker but I don't believe it's any bettter than stock LT5 and it is not on the list of approved oils from ZF. I contacted them recently.

LT5 was was new for the 1M in 2011 because of some new coating they used in our gearboxes. ZF and BMW changed the chemistry of the oil to protect this new coating. I don't believe Redline MT or Auto fluid have changed their composition since before out gearboxes came out so I am weary of changing the fluid to one that is either missing something out gearboxes need for longevity or having something that might react with the coating.

This is a common question as many forget the 1M LT5 history so just two weeks ago I contacted ZF and they sent me their newest list of approved fluids and redline was not on it.
Appreciate 0