05-04-2019, 04:50 AM   #38
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsniper View Post
I think BMW still offers a compelling M product in M2-4s that are strippers. For example, my F80 only has two options: 1. leather interior and 2. competition package. The car looks great, sounds great, has a stick and feels analogue, is a hoot to drive (although you have to be going much faster than in the 1M to truly appreciate it), and comfortably seats 4 and a baby. The car is not bloated with technology and since it is a 2017 it doesn't even have a backup camera!

The problem is that very few people actually want a car that is analogue or specified similar to my M3 (and is the same reason the 86 and brz don't sell well) even though they claim too. Even Bimmerpost is dominated by posts stating that "you have to get the executive package" or "I have got to have a HUD" and look at my "individual color/interior." Hell most of the M3/4 CS's are species with the exec package. These are what car buyers want and buy and where car manufacturers make money and dominate their focus.

Let's compare my F80 to how many so called "enthusiasts" say they would like to spec/modify/buy a car (can even be seen in the 1M forums with after market mods):

1. Good sounding exhaust - stock
2. "Race Seats" - stock
3. Upgraded wheels and tire size - stock
4. Functional carbon fiber parts - stock roof, drive shafts, and strut brace
5. Big brake kit - stock

All this can be had at or around invoice pricing and is a great deal from BmW.
I would say a 'base' F80 M3 is a decent car...but not even close to being analogue. Have driven a few and liked it but it still felt detached to me. The steering felt video game-like and the brakes felt boosted. There are suspension "settings" (which I don't want), fake noise, and that quite unfortunate S55 exhaust note!

I do think BMW is heading in a not so savoury direction in the next M3 so the F8X generation may again be thought of as analogue compared to the blasphemous AWD M3 about to drop—-but the F80 M3 still doesn't really qualify as an analogue car to me. It doesn't have the 'connected' feel of the E90 M3...
seis-speed2426.00