04-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #123
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
From a naming convention and marketing standpoint, it makes perfect sense to call it the M1. I suspect the BMW brass may be particularly anal about this name since the original M1 was the first fully developed car from the M division, and they don't want history to forget that. It seems however, that consumers could really care less about history though.
In the short term I agree that consumers don't really care, but as a manufacturer your history is very important and something to maintain and respect. I personally would think of it as a travesty if BMW gave the humble 1 series (no offence is the lowest of the lows in the BMW range) the name M1 which started the whole series that developed into the icon we have today.

In my opinion the only time that the mighty badge 'M1' should ever be reused is for something truly worthy of it and in my mind that means a totally radical supercar that takes the company to new heights.

After all would you expect Ferrari to give the name GTO to it's bottom run model no matter how good it actually was.

Last edited by footie; 04-22-2010 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0