02-05-2018, 11:35 AM   #43
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
I got a good look at the damage today, the bumper is well-gashed and will likely need replacing. The inner fender liner was crumpled, and it looked like the little cover for the fuel vapor filter was damaged (screws appeared bent, and plastic looked distorted), so those may need replacing as well. The other driver has Progressive, who offered to either pay for someone to do the entire repair, or to give me a check for the parts and install/painting of whatever, which is fantastic.

I'm eyeing the M-Tech rear bumper from ECS Tuning, which comes with a nice, but basic looking diffuser. How much would this cost to be painted? Not that I'm too concerned with cost, but I am. I'm thinking of wrapping the diffuser, if this whole thing works out, in a matte carbon fibre. Before you cry RICE, lemme explain; the diffuser is in a usually-shaded position that won't highlight any flaws in the faux weave, like a wrapped roof would...
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
I would just pick up a used bumper off eBay, they go for 200-500.

My body shop quoted ~200 to spray my bumper, this is with a friend/business partner discount though so YMMV.
Glad to hear you got the check option offered, I'd definitely jump on that!

The M-Tech bumper is the stock 135i style I believe. The 1M style ones are the one you want IMO. Just make sure you get the one with the PDC if your car has that option.

As far as the diffuser goes, when I did mine I just painted it gloss black and threw some clear coat over it. Testors for black and high temp clear for the final coat. Very happy with how it came out and painting it was easy+cheap!

20170419_093946 by Matt Steele, on Flickr
TobiasJuly2017-4 by Matt Steele, on Flickr