View Single Post
      05-16-2021, 11:33 PM   #33
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

So I'm half done with this vcg job.

As everyone says it's a PITA, I expected it to be tedious, but I was not prepared for how tedious it would be. There is literally no room behind the valve cover and it makes getting last three bolts a nightmare, even with an assortment of u joint and wobble extensions etc. I honestly believe it would be easier to pull the engine and Tranny out of the car and change the gasket than it is to do it while in there. I watched the fcp euro video on changing this and there's a hell of a lot more room in the x3 than in the e82/88 (shocking I know) but nonetheless be prepared for a lot of knuckle scraping, swearing, and in general questioning why the f*ck bmw In all their wisdom chose to do certain things like have all the wires and cables run directly over the engine instead of behind, have a valve cover that is impossible to get out and put back in, in any reasonable amount of time.

With that being said, some things that should help people in the future. Remove the metal bracket on the VC that the vanity cover blots it, I think it's two t30 torx in the back passanger side of the engine, also remove the weather stripping below the mirror, this helps things a bit. Otherwise best of luck, it's not a fun job
Appreciate 0