09-10-2015, 02:38 PM   #16
Serious
1M advocate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 S4. 2011 M3. 2012 S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennyandth3jets View Post
Thanks for all the replies everybody, this has been very helpful to try and figure out a path for myself. Would it be more plausible for me to be on the building side of things in a high level setting without such a demand for expendable funds? Based off the numbers in this thread, I wouldn't have the cash to start racing until I'm over 25. So just trying to plan realistically what I can do.

Perhaps I'll just open my own tuning company
I had a similar approach in college. I joined our schools formula SAE team and did that for 2 years. This is excellent experience for your career as an engineer but understand that is where it will most likely pay dividends... not for driving racecars.

I also built a 635csi chumpcar with a couple buddies. This yielded a lot more actual seat time but was also a great experience managing the team and preparing the car. Wasn't insanely expensive (~$7k total) to get on a track, which can be split with other team members.

Those are two good starting points for building racecars and getting some seat time; they're also good additions to your resume.

The only other point I'll make is that if you just want to go fast then forget the cars. Go buy some leathers, a helmet, and a bike. No sub $50,000 racecar will be anywhere near as fast as a 600cc sportbike around a big track. After all the car stuff I did back in school I realized I enjoyed the simplicity, speed, and easy financial burden of bikes vs racecars.