View Single Post
      01-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

BMW M1 spotted during cold weather testing (and official teaser images)

As reported on 1addicts Homepage.

Car Magazine has published pictures of the M1 undergoing cold weather testing in Scandinavia.

[UPDATE: Video added]
[UPDATE 2: Engine information from SCOTT26 added]
[UPDATE 3: M1 teaser images added directly below]
[UPDATE 4: More information from SCOTT26, including schedule, added]

Spy Pictures

Name:  22012BMW1seriesCoupe.jpg
Views: 13814
Size:  223.2 KB

[source: http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-...e-2012-scooped]

Video: http://link.brightcove.com/services/...id=62116372001

While the guys at Car Magazine are assuming that this is a mule for the next gen 1-series coupe (F2x), it's safe to say this actually is an M1 prototype. Why? The very same car was spotted around the BMW M headquarter in Garching (near Munich) before: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311113

Scott gave some details on the motor away:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The M1 will not feature a V8 that remains exclusive to the M3.

The engine is based on the updated N55 Six cylinder but reconfigured by the M Division. to accomodate Twin-Turbo and a high performance intercooler.

PS Output is at 345PS again not to tread on the toes of the M3.
The M1 will be unveiled in a unique matte finish, after being tested with many different matte finishes (sepang bronze, white, etc.). Colors options will be plentiful, from the current M colors to updates of past M colors, and even an Inka Orange color (from the 2002).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
It's a post picture which I have overdrawn using Maya software intentionally to keep the car hidden for now.
But the German automedia should be bringing the car in full rendered glory very soon indeed.

What is not seen is the attention to detail regarding aerodynamics. above the brake intake ducts there is a slight lip spoiler which in the design wraps around the intakes. The front wings are a few milimeters wider and are constructed from composite plastic. There is another Weight saving feature showcased before that will be inherited on the GTS variant. But not on this car.

The focus for this car is simply to bring out an exciting small compact M model which will have the dynamics and the cost to embaress cars that cost twice or three times as much. As it stands now it is still undergoing development so what I have seen it do @ BMW's German Test track is not the full picture, but it is fast and looks great. Image is equally important because there is some nostalgia injected especially in the use of color and interior details and materials.

Unfortunately we cannot replicate the overall project as was the E30 M3. This is not possible because of safety requirements and other regulations have made this today nigh on impossible. What we can do is try to replicate the feel and focus the E30 delivered on the road and track, from what I have learned is that the car is not just an faster 135i although the 135i is a very good car to begin with particular attention is being taken especially to the mechanical set-up and the steering.

As of where things are going the "production" car will likely debut towards the end of 2010 with a debut more than likely @ Detroit 2011 because the largest M market is the US , With European sales commencing in the Spring and the US in early Summer 2011. Clearing the decks for the new M5@ Geneva.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0