houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post
That valve simply forces the stock thermostat to open all the time. IMHO that's not a good solution (for a street car even) and definitely wouldn't change anything at the track where the oil thermostat is open anyways. In a track situation you are completely relying on the cooler to keep things under check (where it seems marginal on the N55 and inadequate on the n54).
I can tell you at button willow on a 90 degree day I could barely do one lap without my oil temps touching 280. Stock ppk flash, fbo, stock coolant, heater on full blast. My car is DCT. The radiator on DCT/at cars has two separate circuits, one for the motor, and one for the transmission heat exchanger, so we may see increasing temps in less severe scenarios compare to MT cars.

I think the csf radiator may be the best first modification, then oil cooler. If that doesn't work then I would consider replacing the trans heat exchanger with a stand alone cooler, then I could run a MT csf radiator which would now be cooling engine only, and then upgraded oil cooler.

I'm hoping the radiator upgrade will do the trick. As I would prefer not to plumb a trans cooler.

Would love to here how the csf oil cooler performs. Such a simple install.

Last edited by houtan; 03-06-2017 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0