View Single Post
      07-17-2017, 05:56 PM   #20
WhatsADSM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bNks334 View Post
That's crazy dct cars really have that much more of an issue. Sounds like it would've been more worthwhile to get a dedicated trans cooler... again no data is being provided of trans temps... what does "coolant temps in check" mean? Any logs to share?

I had my 135i out to lime rock park again recently in 86f weather and with mhd track coolant setting my oil peaked 262f... coolant peaked 216f? On the straight away...

http://datazap.me/u/banks334/lime-rock-stage-2-ots-86f

Compare to log posted above... different tunes but close enough.
I never got a good log of the car on track although I did have MHD open once and had a passenger check it quick. At the time of a thermal foldback the water temps were in the 230s, which is warm but not unreasonable. Looks like the DME doesn't do anything about water temps until they get into the 240s. I never checked the DCT temp, but probably should have. However the transmission was an absolute beast and never missed a beat all day. It certainly never showed any signs of temp derating (which at least in the M3 world you would see with laggy shifts or a complete resistance to shift or listen to your shift commands). The transmission shifted like a dream even as my power started to zero itself out

I guess between the reasonable looking real-time water temps, good shift performance, and an oil temp gauge that read past 300*F it seemed to be fairly conclusive to me that it was an oil temp related foldback...

A few things to remember:
- Everyone's car is a little different. Possible mine just under performs a bit for whatever reason.
- There can be a very big difference in the way people drive and the loads they put on their car. And I am sure that I push my car harder than most, even within the advanced group.
- The DCT is sort of a double whammy. One it taxes the water cooling system more since that is used to cool the transmission as well. Secondly the shorter ratios and the instant shift speeds keep the engine on boil all the time.

See http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=11 for a video of some of the track time. I keep the engine on boil the entire lap, lap after lap after lap. Only if I get stuck behind slower moving traffic will I actually up shift a bunch to give the engine a break. Otherwise I am almost always on the gas 100% at high RPM, or threshold braking.
Appreciate 0