07-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #20
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauce View Post
OP, why are you such a big supporter of the eLSD?
What makes you think I'm a "supporter"? Hint - my car has a limited slip.
I'm simply trying to refute some misconceptions and overall misinformation that's being proposed throughout various posts on this forum.

Quote:
It doesn't work. Plain and simple.
This is exactly the kind of baseless and misleading statements that I'm trying to refute. Sorry to be so brash.

Quote:
Besides the fact that the higher the speed the less effective it will be, it cooks your brakes. I'd much rather have my brakes in better shape than the supposed traction it gives you.
There's no substance here to argue against.
I'll simply ask a question: Have you driven a semi-powerful (let's say 150hp+) BMW with an actual open diff on track before?

Quote:
At low speeds when you know the rear is going to step out, the car is so unpredictable. It steps out, the brakes come in, you lose some angle, it gains the angle back, and so on until the car grabs.
That's an incorrect account of how the system works. The brakes neither "come in" (the brakes are applied long before traction is lost; see graph above), nor do they pulse on/off, nor are the brakes applied to lock up.
You must think that a digital feedback loop is measured in minutes, not microseconds.

Quote:
We haven't even gotten into the effects under braking and turn in.
Feel free to do so.
Appreciate 0