02-04-2017, 11:49 AM   #79
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Been following along here as well. The Koni STR.T sounds like a decent set up. Have you upgraded the rear sub frame bushings (M3 RSFB or inserts)? I didn't see it in the build thread so wasn't sure.
I sent you a PM as well -- I'll go ahead and copy/elaborate what I sent to you there for the sake of others who may have the same questions.

My car was at a similar mileage (a little higher) than yours is when I installed the Koni/Eibach setup and I did NOT replace any other rubber parts -- just springs and shocks. I was not having any problems with the OEM suspension when it was replaced, so I just examined everything and confirmed it wasn't torn or looked worn. On the full OEM suspension, I would complain that going full throttle from a light roll would result in a very unsettled feeling from the rear end. It wasn't traction being lost, but what I understood were flimsy rear sub frame bushings. I haven't noticed that problem nearly as much with the wider rubber and lower stance.

I too thought about adding the E36/Z4 bump stops, but after doing some research decided to stick with the E82 OEM bump stops. I did not trim these either. I've had zero issues regarding bump stops in the 10,000 miles+ I've put on the car since then and my car covers all types of road situations -- city traffic, long highway stretches, mountain climbs, etc.

My top hats were in great shape, and since I daily drive the car and wasn't willing to give up the increased tire wear for more negative camber, I just added them right back to the Koni/Eibach combination and went about my way. No rubbing in the front or back with my existing 235/265 Hankook V12 tires.

If you have the extra dough, then definitely spring for the full freshen up, but I didn't find it necessary at my mileage or for how I currently use the car. It's not fair to expect the feel of a coilover-equipped car with loads of negative camber dialed in and set up for performance, but if you're just looking for a lower stance, a slightly stiffer feel in the turns, and close to OEM ride quality, this would fit the bill nicely.

Last edited by chadillac2000; 02-04-2017 at 12:30 PM..
Appreciate 0