Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheil View Post
Thanks!

Are you thinking about flashing your 1M?

I'm looking into the Akra exhausts and I see that you have the slip on with the maddad midpipes. Have you been able to compare with the full evo Akra setup? Any regrets? Any tips?
Thinking yes, but nothing out there that I've tried is worthwhile at the moment. The sad truth (which tuners won't readily admit) is that the aftermarket is not spending the necessary R&D time to develop a real true tune for the 1///M, or as I call it, peel the onion in full. Whatever is out there is a basically an overlay of their existing N54 product offering, so the 1///M feels...well, like a tuned 135i. The behavior and character of the car is adversely affected to the point it doesnt feel like the special M car that it is. Sooo, lots more wood to be chopped IMO.

As far as the mid pipe, I had the MadDad left over from my 135i days and I love it. Fit and finish is great, no issue with the integration with the Akra. It still saves you good weight over the stock (Akra is marginally more because of the Ti material but it is only nominal). Most of what you pick up in gains is from the mid pipe (my setup resulted in 10whp gains, without allowing for any adaptation, so perhaps by now there is a bit more). I couldn't justify spending the full amount for the Evolution when the aftermarket mid pipe achieves pretty much the same (HP and weight wise). But the valve feature is a must IMO, makes a very big difference sound wise, and frankly, the only exhaust I have heard that makes the 1///M sound completely different. A lot of the other offerings still make it too close in sound to an aftermarket exhaust on a 135i. Just my $0.02, I realize I may be hurting some people's feelings but that was my take on it. Lastly - you ask about tips. I went with CF as they are really unique and integrate well with the BMW Performance spoiler, my CF roof wrap, and eventually whatever CF diffuser I decide to do (Revo or SleK). I prefer black tips as well, if the Ti tips were offered in black it would have been a tougher decision, but once you see the quality of the CF tips, you'll be sold! Best of luck!
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0