View Single Post
      01-19-2010, 04:06 PM   #24
Xyloft
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
I've thought the exact same thing. Cars these days with all the plastic interior bits and electronics are not built to last 50 years. They are more reliable than they were in the past but I find that older cars are built more solidly as people kept them for 15 years or so. Now a days, people flip leases every 3 years so they don't car about wear and tear beyond that.
current collector cars werent built to last 50 years either that's why alot of them are restored. I think the fact that a lot of them also got crushed also contributed.

my guess is current limited production hi perfomance cars cars like the STI, SVT Cobra, etc will be collector cars. i think our current trend towards a new car every few years will also contribute to the lack of 2000's era cars in 2050.

for all we know EVERY car now could be a collector because it may just be the last generation of pure internal combustion engines.

as far as finding electronic parts in the future to make things work, it'll be a small niche industry like the ones that sell parts for Model T's etc. I'm assume people 50 years more advanced will be able to re-create a circuit board in their garage using an at home automated circuit design kit </sci-fi>. at the very minimum they'll be able to reverse engineer something.
Appreciate 0