12-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #297
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01 View Post
IMO, this whole idea of using a sway bar to reduce understeer only happens on cars that have stock front camber. If your car has camber plates or the M3 front arms, a firmer front bar will add understeer. Once you have front camber on the car and combine non-staggered tires, the 135i will become quite snappy. Personally I like the E93 M3 front sway bar because it dials in some understeer and makes the car more stable in high speed braking on the circuit. For people with otherwise stock suspension and staggered tire sizes, the 26.5mm E92 M3 bar seems a good choice for street driving.
My car has both the M3 front control arms, and Ground Control camber plates, set for max negative camber when I hit the track. I also replaced my rear subframe bushings for solid M3 bushings (did that as a DIY).

I did experience this "snappiness" you mentioned on the track. I wonder if my front camber adjustment was overdone or too far beyond the rear setting (maxed at -3.2 in the front , and -1.6 in the rear). I do get better turn in though.

Sounds like the E92 front sway bar on my stock M sport suspension may help with the understeer, and outside tire edge wear, and I can probably dial down my negative camber slightly as a result.

2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts

Last edited by dcaron9999; 01-17-2014 at 08:12 PM..
Appreciate 0