View Single Post
      01-29-2014, 08:07 AM   #21
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
I suspect that this diff, like all the low lock LSDs Porsche ships, will be burnt out in short order on the track.
Really? You think that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
As soon as a wheel lifts, like when hitting a curb, the ediff should immediately try and compensate and grab the brake on that wheel, as soon as it grabs, a torsen diff should start working again. Was just thinking the ediff would make one just a little better.

Just curious, why would you not want an open diff when braking or coasting?

I am very partial to Torsen style diffs personally. I have had them on several race cars (Hondas) and several street cars. I really like the way they race and drive on the street.
FWD Torsens are completely different than RWD. IMO, Torsens on a FWD is the way to go. On a RWD though...never, just IMO for a hard use application.

The thing with the e-diff, is that it isn't proactive. It doesn't know you're hitting a curb. Once you hit the curb, you'll get air, the wheel will start spinning then the e-diff needs to react. Within the split second this happens I still don't believe the e-diff will catch it.

Open diff while braking especially doesn't help with car control. When you have a static lock on a LSD, you can gain stability. When coasting, you can easily be taking a sweeper or some sort of turn on a lift and when you go back to open diff.
Appreciate 0