View Single Post
      03-24-2019, 05:23 PM   #4
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Welcome!

Just make sure the maintenance is 100% before dumping all the money into mods.

Tune - Just go MHD flash only, with a custom tune. Forget piggybacks they're ancient garbage.

Turbo - OEM twins or Single turbo, hybrids won't be reliable. Single turbo will be a lot of work and be prepared to be tinkering a lot with it to get it perfect (but at least the turbo won't be failing)

Intercooler - Wagner Evo 1 performance (i don't like the fitment of the silicone couplers of the higher end models), VRSF 7" HD or 7.5" race, or the PSP intercoolers are good options

Charge pipe - Stock charge pipe from 01/2009 onwards is the weak version, the earlier ones don't fail. Personally I'd just go with an earlier OEM on cos it fits the best but for aftermarket I would only consider ER. The other stuff just doesn't fit perfectly or is prone to leaking.

Common for the chargepipes with no supporting bracket to wear out the oring connection. (OEM and ER pipes have a bracket to prevent this). The constant diameter 3" charge pipe always rub on the power steering hose as well.

Suspension - Get a set of coilovers, BMW performance suspension is barely an upgrade. Coilovers aren't the only thing that needs doing though, theres plenty of other stuff like rear subframe bushes and M3 front control arms that really need to be upgraded as well.

Coilovers not sure what to recommend tbh, wasn't really happy with the options out there so pieced together a coilover setup myself (KW competition shocks with H&R springs with spring rates I chose). Most of the off the shelf kits come with soft spring rates which in my opinion are still too soft even for driving on mountain roads and definitely too soft for track use.

Can always do a manual swap if its a super clean example and you've already invested a ton of money in maintenance and mods. I've done 2 manual swaps so far on this platform and totally transforms the feel of the car from a soft cruiser to a proper drivers car.