01-20-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

ESS DirectFlash N54 135i: Review

ESS DirectFlash N54 ECU 135i Performance Software: Review

I purchased a 2009 135i a couple of months ago as my DD and immediately loved how the car performed stock. It has been fun to drive and had some pretty good power, but I wanted more of course.

I contacted ESS Tuning and inquired about their DirectFlash for the 135i. They have a couple of different stages and I decided to with Stage 2. I purchased two Stage 2 files, one for 91 octane and another for higher octane Stage 2+.

The kit comes with everything that you need to Flash the car, including the handheld unit, cable to OBDII port, USB cable to computer and a flash drive. Instructions and software for the PC are on a flash drive. I have a Macbook Pro, but am running parallels for Windows which is needed for the software. Once reading the instructions from the flash drive installation was a snap.

I downloaded my current stock 135i file from the car to the handheld in about 40 minutes. I then transferred it from the handheld to the computer and emailed ESS with my stock 135i file. Within an hour or so I had my two new files back from ESS. I downloaded them to my computer and then loaded them up on the handheld unit. Once on the handheld unit then back to the car to load it up. I selected the Stage 2+ file and loaded it on the car within 15 minutes. Piece of cake!

The great thing about the handheld is that now I have two modified files and my stock file which I can load back on the car whenever I want. There are no wires or additional plugs necessary. I plug the handheld into the OBDII port download the file I want and then unplug and go! It is that simple!

Now for the performance, I was already impressed with the 135i’s power, however this takes it to a whole other level. I have almost 90hp more on tap over my complete stock 135i!!! The torque at the low rpm is much higher and immediately noticeable. I live in an area with steep hills and the torque was night and day to the stock 135i. The car just pulls and pulls the whole way up the hill like its gonna take off. At redline the car is just an absolute beast! I have driven with the Stage 2+ file for the past couple of days and want to run it to redline every chance I get. I really pegs you into the seat! It feels like a rocket as the car is much smaller than my E90 M3. Around town the car drives completely like stock. No hesitation and complete control, but when you hammer the gas pedal hang on!!!

I will provide an update later when I have more time to drive the car, but I had to get this review out there so that people know about the ESS Direct Flash unit.

Here are a couple of pics of the unit.

Let me know if you have any questions!

GTS
Appreciate 0