04-26-2017, 12:39 PM   #20
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc45 View Post
This is a contender for thread of the year! Thanks for posting.
Two questions: is it possible at all to bleed the brakes in the traditional way on these cars? I know you said much of the brake fluid had drained and there was a lot of air in the system when you put it back together.
And secondly, is "bedding" in brakes really a thing?
Or is it a myth? I have never intentionally bedded in new brakes.
I have been changing brakes for 40 years and I have never ever had a problem with noise, vibration, longevity, or braking performance. I always sand my rotors and pads with coarse emery paper to remove any glaze.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc45 View Post
This is a contender for thread of the year! Thanks for posting.
Two questions: is it possible at all to bleed the brakes in the traditional way on these cars? I know you said much of the brake fluid had drained and there was a lot of air in the system when you put it back together.
And secondly, is "bedding" in brakes really a thing?
Or is it a myth? I have never intentionally bedded in new brakes.
I have been changing brakes for 40 years and I have never ever had a problem with noise, vibration, longevity, or braking performance. I always sand my rotors and pads with coarse emery paper to remove any glaze.
Yes you can. You only need the INPA bleed if you let the reservoir get empty or suspect you have air in the DSC module.

Bedding is kind of personal preference. Certainly new pads will bed themselves to the rotors with regular driving but you can accelerate the process or improve it with a bedding procedure on the road. Sometimes if my brakes develop a noise then I'll go do a bedding procedure again and it'll go back to smooth operation. Usually no issues.