View Single Post
      02-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #20
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
The stock 1M suspension if hugely adequate for a stock setup. I wouldn't concern myself with this for a long while. Once you're in the advanced run group and you're running r-comps and if you are finding handling limitations due to the suspension then make a move. I've been really impressed with how good the factory setup is though.

If I were you, I'd get the camber plates and whatever tires you can afford. The RS3s are an awesome street/track tire, if you can afford them then get those. I wouldn't worry about the less optimal rain traction with them. If its raining on track work on your wet line with the adhesion they provide. If you’re on the street then take it easy in the rain. They will still drive adequately, just not as good as others. As little as it rains down here this would be low on my list of concerns.

If you do get the camber plates BJ will be able to help you install them and figure out a good street and track configuration.

Good luck!
Thanks Robert. Whats your DE schedule looking like this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
+1 for the new BFG Rival in 275/35 and 295/35 if you can wait that long.

Should be better than the RS3 (which I've run extensively) in every way. Looking forwards to getting a set.

The Z2 is supposed to be snappy at the limit in comparison, doesn't handle heat as well and is slower.

http://www.onehotlap.com/2013/01/bfg...-thickens.html
Thanks, good read. I had read a few reviews, all of which seemed to think the Rival would be the new street tire to beat. I really don't think I can wait that long though. Planning an event in April, May and COTA in June!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Any chance your shop has a clown or a shoe in it's name ?

I got a recommendation for Federal tires as well. Of course then I got a dozen people trying to SHAME me out of buying Federal. you can't put Federals on a BMW (The Hell i can't ! - I am thinking they would be great for the stock 19s when the car gets trotted out for pimp my ride type events or Cars and Coffee etc.)
BJ has been very fair and honest with me, took my car there for a tech inspection on a whim because I liked the name. He did it for free and ended up being my instructor at my first track day. He is not always the easiest guy to get a hold of though! Going to call him this afternoon to get some pricing info for the tires and talk about brake pads/camber plates.

The price of the federals is awfully tempting. I am not trying to extract the fastest lap times, still learning the craft.
Appreciate 0