View Single Post
      11-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #31
Tiny Chainsaw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam135 View Post
There are right and wrong ways to lower your car. Using tires that are too small for the rim to avoid rubbing, at the expense of safety and performance, is wrong. Car enthusiasts have been around for decades and this fad has only gotten popular recently. Hellaflush, stanced, whatever you want to call it, is poor mans way of doings things right. If you like the look, fine, but don't try to make us look like the bad guys. Everything about this fad is anti-performance, plain and simple, and that is why many people feel so strongly against it.
Hellaflush/stanced people stretch their tires because they like the way it looks. And I'm not trying to make you guys look bad, I'm just simply summarizing the common opinion on this forum for stretched tires. Those quotes I made are accurate, I went through about 10 pages of jzhang's post and these were the most common types of responses. I just feel that people are taking it way too seriously, if you don't like it then just let it be, don't have to flame OP and insult OP for it. Especially how someone on this thread just basically called all people who stretch their tires stupid. That's just being way too harsh.

Stretched tires can be compared similarly to 18 inch wheels vs 19 inch wheels. 18 inch wheels are definitely better than 19 inch wheels performance wise, and yet people still sacrifice that performance for aesthetics. 19 inch wheels also sacrifice ride quality and are easier to get damaged deeming it less safe, so basically you're sacrificing performance, ride quality and safety for aesthetics and yet you don't see people getting flamed for running 19 inch wheels. Also to clarify, when I'm referring to stretched tires, I'm not talking about the extremes, I'm talking about moderately stretched tires, which won't compromise safety too much. If you look at jzhang's specs on the wheels he ran which caused pages of controversy, you'll notice that he ran tires which were BARELY stretched relative to what other people do, and yet he was flamed. He also ran those tires with no problems to his safety.

TL;DR: Be respectful to other people, even if you disagree with their ways of modding their car. This is a forum for enthusiasts who come from all walks of life and we should foster this place to become an accepting, open-minded community instead of condemning people for their different tastes.
Appreciate 0