02-08-2018, 12:10 PM   #108
berns
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontside0815 View Post
Hey Berns,

you already can say something about the sway bar?
There are so much different opinions on this Topic, that itīs actually really hard to decide for something...

Thanks
Haven't updated, but just posted this in another sway bar thread that's going on right now. I'll leave it here to keep the build updated with my progress and thoughts. More to come. Just started custom tuning with Jake@MOTIV and installed a Fuel-It! Stage 2 bucket to start running E85 and bringing it to the track with me.

I haven't run many different setups on my car, since I built it pretty specifically off the bat. My only two test days have been at Buttonwillow CW13.

I run KW Clubsport dampers (V3, basically) and Swift springs. 6k front and 12k rear.
M3 lower arms, every bushing, mount, and bearing you can think of, for the most part.
Started out with the E92 M3 front bar and stock rear bar.
Tire setup was: 18x9" squared with 255/35 Nexen Sur4G

Rear grip was great and the car was relatively easy to power-on out of corners, which surprised me. Understeer was annoying, both turn-in, mid corner, and everywhere really. At this point, I wish I just put the stock front bar back in for comparison, but I instead opted to go for the E92 M3 rear bar, as the 1M came this way as well and the car displayed pretty awful roll. Here are some photos of cornering from that first event. Best time was 2:00.3, on fresh tires.

Lifting the front inner tire, and look at that squat.

At this point, I dropped the rear subframe again (worst idea) and installed the E92 M3 rear sway bar to match. Truthfully, I should have definitely gotten another alignment and properly set up the adjustable end link, so there is some room to play still. The front end now feels amazing. Turn-in is immediate, the grip is there with -3* up front, and mid corner wash-out is in the past. However, the rear-end is SUPER playful, and I don't have enough tire to handle it. I also think I'm in major need for damper setting adjustments.

Despite the nice front-end, I could barely get on the gas all day out of any corner, which resulted in a 2:01.5 as my best time. Over a full second slower around Buttonwillow CW13.

Both front tires are on the ground now. Roll doesn't look as severe. Not totally sure what to take away from all of this, but I feel that with some more rear grip, this will be the faster setup. So I'm going to try to run staggered, 18x9 front, 18x9.5 rear, 265 front and 275 rear.

The KW dampers have a ton of threads left. At my current ride height, the top of the tire is still below the lower perch up front. The rear has a ton of room, it seems. I did the math and it looks like I'll have to run a 10mm spacer out back to get the 9.5's out to where my 9's are, which will leave me some room to the fender edge and enough clearance inboard to avoid the fuel filler.

Ride height for reference. Car will probably come up some.

Appreciate 0