View Single Post
      10-07-2019, 06:33 AM   #2
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

There is a good chance that the oil leak and the oil change are not related. Is it possible you just noticed the leak after the oil change and it was there before, for instance? But if I assume for a minute that they are related, the two sources affected by the oil change are the cap over the filter which is very visible on the top of the engine, and the oil drain plug on the bottom of the motor and not easy to see. If the o-ring of the filter cap is not down into the motor casting, it will leak. But it tends to leak a lot which is not consistent with your description. I think it is also possible for the drain plug to leak if there are double washers, or no washer, or something on the washer preventing the drain plug from seating correctly on the drain plan. But to check it, you have to be under the car and to really check it you have to remove the drain plug which means another oil change.

I wouldn't do anything about it if the oil level doesn't change. The lack of a change means it is a minor leak and if it is from the drain plug, it will probably be fixed with the next oil change.

Cars tend to leak a little oil. It is also possible that some oil was spilled on the engine in the last oil change and in that event it will stop showing drops on the ground.