View Single Post
      06-25-2017, 08:29 AM   #7
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I am fully aware of the literature saying it will hold almost 7 quarts but according to my oil gauge it will not hold that much. I have driven it multiple times now with only the 5 quart added and it has gone down a little from the mid point but is still well within the green zone.

I was doing oil changes from multiple 5 quart containers previously. That makes it a bit hard to judge how much of the second container you used but I was adding about 6 quarts and the oil gauge read at the top of the green zone - nearly over full.

I am not going to overfill my motor with oil because you guys think it is a good idea. I will trust my gauge at least when it tells me something defendable. While a completely dry engine might take 6.9 quarts you can't ever get all the oil out during an oil change. Somewhere around 6 quarts is more realistic, I think, and a 5 quart got me on the oil gauge, safely in the green zone.