View Single Post
      10-30-2018, 08:04 AM   #20
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I've done several more oil changes and all have been consistent. I've tried raising the back end of the car too so it was level and it made no difference. On my car, adding 5 quarts gets me to the minimum end of the green range on the display. Since that is not where I want to be, I add six which takes me to the maximum end of the green range.

I am well aware of the dangers of too little oil. But too much causes issues too. I see no harm in adding 6 quarts and checking to see where you are but I would not add 7 without checking first. If your engine likes that amount, fine. Mine would be over full by a quart. That is enough to do damage. At least it would be overfull according to the gauge.

I am not trying to save money by adding less. I am just trying to add what the car says it needs. My 5 quart comment was a convenience thing. But I buy multiple 5 quarts and then have some for the next several oil changes. I also keep a quart in the trunk but I have never had to add oil between oil changes. But I am changing at 5K intervals - again for convenience.