View Single Post
      06-25-2019, 04:54 AM   #21
acqui
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW M3, 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eau_rouge View Post
Ok. Sooo...I understand that BMW is a global company, focused on growth, revenues and happy stakeholders all over the place. I know that the automotive industry is going through a difficult time right now. BMW should evolve as every other major company and they do. I see that there is no space/time for a "romantic" look in the mirror. Global companies can't rely on accomplishments achieved in the past.

But...as a lifelong fan of their cars and heritage, motorsport tradition and driving dynamics: The current developments and changes within their company sadden me. Their decisions to withdraw from traditional motorsports and allocate that budget to Formula E (I mean, who really gives a sh*t about this series?) is heartbreaking. To see that their LeMans cars (I know BOP) and the M6 at the Nordschleife 24h (even with a better BOP) were both absolutely not capable of keeping up with the other manufacturers is devastating. BMW once was a name that was linked to Motorsports before all others (besides Porsche). Nowadays it's just sad to see the current programs where BMW has some cars in.
Same with the cars and their social media/stakeholder activities. BMW M was always a "family" which valued its customers and really relied on their feedback. There were special events and a lot more. Today, BMW only invites social media "stars", "car collectors" and some folks who have nothing in common with the typical BMW M driver/customer. The design strategy of the cars is getting worse - BMW is not listening to longtime customers and is just focused on growth markets. Again, I understand that decision from a corporate perspective, as stated above. BUT, I think it's not my brand anymore. When I look at AMG, Porsche and even Hyundai with their N series, it's mind boggling how BMW M is changing so quickly to a company that I don't affiliate myself with. As I heard about the Vision M Next (or whatever stupid name it has) first, I knew exactly what was coming. I knew how it might look and what it's about. I am not even excited anymore. M always was a bit more hardcore, focused and driven than other brands. That is - unfortunately, not the case anymore. The whole disaster with their OPF transition for the European M cars and the way they handled customers when they took delivery of a 100k M4 C that sounded like...yeah, like nothing is devastating. I am still so disappointed about that whole nonsense. AMG, Porsche and all others are sitting at a table with customers and finding solutions - BMW M just tells us this is the way the regulations are and they are not able to do anything about it - yeah...right.

Maybe this is not the right place to tell this story and maybe some of you think I am a bit dramatic. I am - but only because I am saddened by the fact that this brand is developing into a company with good revenues and happy stakeholders - but sad customers who were into Motorsport and the heritage of M. You don't need to agree with me, but there is nothing that change my mind. And to be honest, I haven't even started pointing out all the things that bother me.
Well said👍
Appreciate 0