View Single Post
      06-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #24
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Jeep, Ducati & Harley

I am so pleased with the changes I have made I'm practically silly about it. I feel like I got it "just right". First upgrade was Hotchkis front ASB at about 5K miles, this took out much of the plowing understeer and sharpened turn-in. At 30K miles the stock dampers were toast - I'm talking flip-flop city, with some scary moments (I am an enthusiastic driver)! So, I went with BMWP springs and Bilstien HD dampers, along with Michelin Pilot Super Sports and firmer control arm bushings from HP Autowerks (did the CDV delete at the same time). I never dreamed I could have this much control with this level of comfort - I thought these things would be mutually exclusive but this is not the case. Any body motion brought on by dips, bumps, expansion joints etc, even at speeds far in excess of what is legal or prudent on the street, is brought under control immediately. Where previously you'd prepare for scary moments, now there is no drama at all. And, the way the car just glues itself to the gnarliest, bumpiest backroads New England has to offer is amazing...the ride feels much more "expensive" and the cornering attitude is very neutral, while body roll is greatly diminished. I feel that going any stiffer would sacrifice control on all but the smoothest roads, and would give no advantage at the same time. In short, the car will get around any corner - smooth or bumpy - faster than any sane person would care to drive on the street, with amazing control and confidence. Even with my wife and 2 daughters in the car with me, the suspension is never overwhelmed by any means, and the ride is never uncomfortable. I'm sure the M3 subframe bushings can be a great upgrade with stiffer setups, but I think that my setup is compliant enough to not require them. I will continue to evaluate that.

I am amazed, and so pleased with the decision I made to use these components. I think the Bilstiens are dampers of the highest quality, and that they are a perfect match for the BMWP springs.

EDIT: There is no drop with this setup, so if you're looking to "get down" you'll want something different.

Last edited by Fireflyer239; 06-08-2012 at 09:12 PM..
Appreciate 1