View Single Post
      07-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #31
2012one35i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2012 BMW 135i

Alright, Got the Bilstein HD's installed. All I can say is wow! I thought switching from runflats was most of the problem, but it's more like 40% tires and 60% dampers. My car is done (as far as suspension is concerned).

My only mods to date are:
Replaced runflats with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (225/255)
Bilstein HD's

The car now drives like any other sporty car. It no longer feels like the wheels are made of cast iron. I just can't get over how much it improved things. I will say the Bilsteins are firm, and you can really feel the road now, but it's not at all unpleasant. The rear does still swim from side to side when you drag race it, but that is the subframe bushings, which I do not intend to replace. All the pogo-stick bounce is gone, and the car is so much more stuck to the ground.

I would say do not do the dampers until you switch out the runflats, or the ride will be too harsh. And as soon as you do switch out the runflats, get the dampers done ASAP. Tires alone will leave you disappointed, I think.

Not cheap for me to have done. $468 for the dampers, and $850 in labor. I had two independent BMW shops give me a quote for the labor, and one wanted more than the dealership ($936), the other didn't want to do it at all. $850 is what the dealership quoted me, so that's how that worked out.

By the way, I have a 2012 with the linear springs, and if you don't want to lower your car, the stock springs are plenty stiff enough.

Last edited by 2012one35i; 07-10-2012 at 11:13 PM..
Appreciate 0