07-11-2013, 07:46 AM   #18
1Pirate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
Does anyone actually have first hand experience with the HD and STOCk springs?

Half the people on the 3 series forum say they ride firmer than the yellows, half say they are softer.

I'm looking to retain the stock springs, and just fix the ridiculous dampening for now.
I have Koni Sports (Yellows) and stock springs on my car, although my springs are 2011 M Sport springs rather than the 2009 M Sport springs that came on my car because the newer springs are linear in the rear rather than progressive. I also am running non runflat tires and my car has numerous M3 suspension parts. The ride is as good or better than with the stock suspension with non runflat tires and the damping is so much better.

In my opinion the stock dampers are the weakest link in the 1s suspension. Replacing the stock dampers with Koni Sports vastly improves the car's damping. Add in some M3 suspension bits and the car's handling is transformed without having to lower the car and without sacrificing ride quality. Plus because the Koni's are adjustable you can fine tune the damping to get the ride/handling you want (especially if you also get the adjustable rear dampers).