View Single Post
      03-16-2014, 09:01 AM   #15
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_Extract View Post
Curious, have you experienced instances of excessive spring droop to the point of rattle, or concern, or is your attempt to keep pre-load on the spring more for the sake of consistency in response throughout it's rate of travel?
I have used this method a couple of times before in other applications. I committed pretty early to doing it based on my preliminary figuring that the 9" spring would become loose at full extension of the shock. I wanted to fully control the full droop position and the spring pre-load rather than rely on the rubber bushings to do so. Also, if I change to the M3 rear arms one rubber bushing becomes a ball joint. If I go to an adjustable toe link, two more do. That would reduce the preload provided by the bushings. So my motivation is to positively control the preload so that potential future modifications don't diminish it and result in a loose spring.

The rubber bushings do seem to provide for decent droop control though, and under normal circumstances the anti-roll bar would also tend to keep the unweighted wheel's spring loaded up. The only place it might actually make a difference would be an accident where the suspension movements are violent enough that the spring could come free.

Certainly if I ever did get spring rattle, I would be concerned, but I have not driven on this suspension so the modification was not based on direct experience.
Appreciate 0