Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
I am using Ohlins with camber plates, so not stock suspension. If you are on a stock suspension, the understeer will persist if you stay with a staggered set up. This was true for me with RE11s on stock wheels (255 in the front and 275 in the rear). While on those tires, I installed camber plates which made a world of difference and completely eliminated the understeer.

I'm currently using a square wheel and tire set for the track which is very neutral at the limit. To achieve this, I have -2.5° of camber in the front and-1.8° of camber in the rear. With my stock wheels on the car, which currently have the PS4S on them, there is still a tendency to understeer very slightly at the limit, which is much safer for every day use.
My stock car does not understeer as you have described with the staggered set up.

The rest of your most is however fairly clear. If I want to use the ps4s I have to dial in -2.5 camber to the front.

Is there another tire available on the market that will perform like stock?
With all due respect, you have not found the limit of the cars capability if you have not found understeer on a stock suspension with staggered set up. Changing tires will not change the fact of the car is set up to understeer from the factory, mainly a product of having way too little camber in the front. Changing from one brand of tire to another is not going to drastically change the balance of grip between the front and the rear. Going to a square set up will eliminate some understeer, and changing alignment settings will certainly help, but if you ever autocross the car or go to a track where you truly are driving at the limit of grip, the understeer on this car is very frustrating.
I have not done track in the 1M just autocross . It did understeer for me if overdriven with stock setup. I did it with both super sports and Michelin Sports Cups 1. If I dove into corner too hot and cranked the wheel it would understeer a bit then when I applied power it would oversteer if I was not gradual with the application. After a day of auto crossing I let a friend that is an instructor and class champion drive it and he finished the course faster than me and and had less understeer and oversteer than me. I was impressed since he had never driven the 1M. Slowed down for the corners during fun runs and the understeer became less pronounced . So it does have understeer at the limit and past it but I can see how for some drivers it's not as noticeable. My friend didn't find the understeer to be an issue. His comment was how much throttle discipline is required in the 1M and we both said it almost took us back to our front wheel drive days where you had to very careful with throttle application when auto crossing. Finally I see a lot of trackers go with a bigger front sway bar only and from my experience this can increase understeer. So anyway my point is that the severity of understeer is dependent on driving style. So I hope that helps bridge the divide in opinions here. Best wishes and thank you for your inputs. I really want to try 4S with 255 and 275.

Last edited by nachob; 01-05-2020 at 08:46 PM..
Appreciate 0