nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzlin View Post
Hi Nachob,

Thanks for the reply. Will happily repost there. Not to confess (obviously) to being any kind of expert on anything to do with this car - but it does have "M" written on the runners as you open the car doors --- is that the same thing? Will the applications I'm looking for be any different for 'M' vs the 'regular 135'? (Is there a regular vs. different 135?)

True to my posting: Total newbie :/ :P
Dazzlin, the things you mentioned are probably the same on the 1M since they share 95% of the parts, but the 1M was only brought to the US one year and less than 1000 in the whole US and Canada so there is less traffic than the 128i and 135i forum. BMW has created a lot of confusion by putting tons on M logos on cars and I can understand the confusion. Just yesterday I saw a M235i with M badges everywhere, even the brake calipers and had seatbelt pads with Ms on them. What you see as far as the M badges on the door sills refers to an M-Sport which is to top of the Non M cars. They do some cool stuff to the cars and call them M sport and put M badges on it. M cars are designed by the M division in Garching and are different in many ways.

For example the M-Sport suspension in your is firmer and rides lower than a non-sport 1 series but it is still a steel tubed suspension. The 1M shocks are struts are all aluminum housings from the M3 and are firmer.

The body on the 1M is actually different. The sheetmetal is wider to accomodate bigger cross-drilled brakes and M3 calipers and wider wheels.

The steering rack in the 1M is different than the 135i, it is the same unit of the E90 M3.

The exhaust system is different, it's a quad exhaust.

The flywheel is lightened and the motor makes more power and comes with an additional radiator which was also added to the 135is later.

The wheels and tires are wider and use different offsets than the 135i and the differential is an M lock differential that can transfer power to the wheel with traction. The 135i is essentially an open differential stock.

There are a few other differences....the 1M was manual transmission only, all of them are slicktop with no sunroof and the only colors you could get were white, black and orange.

So the 1M is a souped up 135i but it's more than an engine tune there are differences in the body, underpinnings and driveline.

I hope that helps explain it a little bit.
Appreciate 1
ayao641.50