08-28-2014, 06:09 PM   #103
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999 View Post
I took a quick peek at my front bumper stock air duct openings, and stuck a pole in there to determine how it meets with the wheel hub. The rectangular wheel well opening directs air at the bottom of the hub, and onto the bottom of my F30 backing plates (installed a few months ago). I run 255/35R18 tires in the front, which limits space tremendously for flexible pipe to fit without getting pinched. This week-end, I will jack the car up, sit the tires on four blocks of wood to get normal suspension compression, and slide under the car for a closer observation. Will also turn the streering wheel from lock-to-lock.
Which is why I was surprised CJ was able to run 3" hoses without rubbing but he may have been running a staggered setup at the time. If you look at my write up, I had to come in from the side for the reasons you mentioned. All those bends in the hoses don't help with flow but it's immensely better than nothing.

You maybe better off riveting 2.5" flanges onto your backing plate, and running 2.5" hoses. Here's the write-up that inspired me to tackle the job:

http://robrobinette.com/S2000BrakeDucts.htm

The key is to get the ducting closest to center of rotor as possible. Directing it outside towards the face of the rotor won't do you much good. The air has to get inside the hub area.