View Single Post
      10-31-2018, 11:40 AM   #23
02Pilot
Malcontent
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I hope 1 extra quart doesn't result in the crank finding the sump oil. I guess you've done it and not seen signs. I also guess you think your engine may starve for oil if you don't add the additional quart. I doubt that on a BMW.

The crank hitting the oil is one possible effect but even without that it can raise the pressure inside the crankcase resulting in oil getting past seals. That would be especially true at higher rpm when the pressure inside the crankcase is elevated anyway.

I think 6 quarts in a 180 cubic inch engine is quite a bit of oil. With a properly designed sump, which I assume I have, I think the engine should never run out. I've owned several cars with bigger displacement engines and less oil in them and they were fine.
How exactly is an additional quart in the sump going to raise crankcase pressure?

Doubting that oil starvation on the track is a real problem, BMW or not, is asking for trouble and flat out wrong. I'll quote from Bimmerworld's page for the their N54 oil pan baffle (https://www.bimmerworld.com/Engine/E...5i-Z4-35i.html) :

When driving your E82 135i, 1M or E90/E92 335i on the track you must pay attention to oil pressure. During prolonged hard cornering, oil shifts away from the oil pump pickup and leaves the pump sucking fumes - not good at all for the health of your engine! By the time the dash warning light comes on the damage has already been done. You can help prevent oil starvation by welding this baffle into the oil pan. It does a better job of keeping a plentiful supply of oil near the pump pickup. It's easy to install, once the oil pan is removed, and is cheap insurance against engine failure. While oil starvation is not as common as it once was, we ran similar baffled oil pans on our E90 race cars because of oil starvation on the N52 engines.

That's a pro race team's point of view.

Finally, you are implying a relationship between displacement and oil capacity that simply doesn't exist. Oil capacity requirements are based on the bearing loads, heat transfer requirements, and expected service intervals. A low-stress, overbuilt cast-iron pushrod V-8 is unlikely to have the same oiling needs as a high-revving DOHC alloy I6.