11-03-2018, 07:31 AM   #29
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
O2Pilot,

The quotes from the racing teams are interesting. The rest of your comment indicate you are confused.

The reason more oil raises the pressure inside the crankcase is that is the way gasses work. You might try googling the ideal gas law. When the volume inside the crankcase for gas is reduced, the pressure increases.

Your next misconception is that adding oil has the same effect as a baffle. They may be directed at the same thing but they are definitely not the same in either form or effect. MAYBE more oil stops the oil pump from sucking air. But the greater volume of oil is still free to move away from the pickup so the effect will be much less than putting in a baffle. A question to ask yourself is if adding oil solves the problem, why didn't the racing teams just do that?

There is certainly and obviously a relationship between displacement and oiling requirements. Larger engines have more surface area that need a thin film of oil. The oil has to move greater distances so more is contained in the passage ways through the engine. Air cooled Porsches use oil as a coolant explaining their high oil volume for their displacement. But I see no similar need for water cooled BMWs but a side benefit or purpose of oil is to transfer heat. But I still think 7 quarts is a lot for a 3 liter engine. It is more than many 5 and 6 liter V8s use. Bearing loads are not a function of displacement, it is the size of the bearings and the load they see so it is wrong to presume lower bearing loads in a push rod V8.
Huh?

The amount of oil in the engine has absolutely no bearing on pressure inside the crankcase. It is not a sealed system.

Our engines use a vacuum pump. The crankcase is running a vacuum, so below atmospheric pressure anyways.

The more oil in the engine the better. It is like saying you run your cooling system down 2 or 3 liters for whatever reason.
Appreciate 0