07-19-2019, 03:34 PM   #35
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
On your advice, which I trust, I changed my oil today and added just under 7 quarts. My oil level said it was down a quart. When I dumped my oil back into a 5 quart jug, it didn't quite fill it up, so I assume I was closer to two quarts low.
IF you put 7 quarts in and less than 5 quarts came out... you still have some oil left in the sump!

I then saw your photos and you will need to have your car level - to do an oil change.

When I lived in a public garage... I would use my floor jack on the driver's side of the car... jack it way up and use a jack stand under the body(on both sides up front!) for safety... then change the oil with the car slightly leaning over to the passenger side. This way any oil in the sump would come out.

But it's BEST to have the car level. Buy some jack stands(4) and a floor jack. I also bought four rubber "pucks" that have the rectangular forms to fit the 1er body. I use these rubber hockey puck between the car's body and the jack stand.

You can see some old pics of my DIY oil change here... at JimD excellent oil change DIY. He has a 128i but its all pretty much the same on our cars. That's why I put my pics in his DIY thread.

First Oil Change on my 128i Convertible
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...=301440&page=2

When I change my oil... I remove the oil fill cap and put a rag there. I then go under the car and loosen the oil pan drain. After it's finished draining... I go back up top and remove the oil filter cap(slowly so not to spill out any oil, let it burp as your loosen it) then I remove the filter and use a fluid extractor to suck out the ~200ml of oil in there. put a new filter on and snug up the housing cap(not too tight! ~20Nm just beyond hand tight)... then I go back under the car and remove the drain plug. Another 300ml will come out. After that... put a new crush ring on the drain plug, tighten and I dump in 7 quarts of oil.

I also use my Dimple magnetic oil drain plug which is so much better than my old UUC one.
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...=301440&page=4

Also... when I change my oil... I don't trust the dang e-dipstick until I have driven the car for a LONG time. Say 45 minutes. The reason is it can read low until the engine is fully warmed up. The Oil Condition Sensor can malfunction and give you a bad or false oil level reading. Look at this PDF to see how it can read falsely.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW_oil_condition_sensor.pdf (82.8 KB, 91 views)
Appreciate 0