03-13-2016, 06:44 PM   #1
walkie86
Frog Lover
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2006 E87 130i

[NSW] n00b - E87 130i - First Bimmer

Hi all,

I've been driving RENAULTsport Clios for almost 10 years and contemplated upsizing to a 5-door Megane 225 but driving to work one day a blue 130i with tow stickers cruised past on the Anzac Bridge (I believe he's a member here from research) and I thought, "That's the car for me".

A few mates have owned 130is in the past, which I've driven plenty of times, so I began to suss out the market and evaluate what few examples were available - manual of course. I drove panza's silver one that's currently for sale (great car), came close to buying a mate's mint black 2005 model (but decided I didn't want black) and even made an offer on the blue one with BBS-style rims that was on carsales.

Then, while waiting to hear back on my offer last Wednesday morning, an immaculate looking Le Mans Blue example with low km and a great spec of options popped up - only problem was it was in Melbourne! I quickly called the owner and asked for more pics, more info - anything to help understand the car, its history and condition.

As it turned out he was an ex-BMW Master Tech (now working on the suit side at a dealership in Melbs) and was very OCD about his car! We agreed a price, subject to me flying down on Saturday and inspecting. I was confident the car would be as described but when I arrived it was even better! New rear tyres, near-new front brakes, no oil leaks, freshly serviced and detailed - it was immaculate.

We did all the paper work, handed over the cash and my mate and I began the long drive home (via lunch at Duttons for a perve and catch up with a few Renault friends), arriving home just after midnight.

She's on a unreg vehicle permit currently so sorting the blue slip and rego this week then I can take her for a proper drive on some nice roads! However, the long drive back on the freeway gave me plenty of time to get acquainted with the car in general and I can confirm it's all

Her spec from factory from what I can tell:
- 2006 Le Mans Blue, 6-speed manual
- 86,500 km (after the drive back from Melb)
- i-Drive Professional
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Logic7 hi-fi
- Heated front seats
- Hi-beam assist
- Folding mirrors
Plus the usual sunroof, bi-xenons etc.

No immediate major modifications planned (except window tint) as I want to get to know her and learn how to drive RWD properly, but possible upgrades in the future include ZHP gearknob, M3 front and rear sway bars, 135 rear muffler and some more intake noise. Maybe some different rims and non-runflats once the tyres wear out too! Oh and a Quaife + 135 brakes would be nice...

One pic from the drive home for now but there will be plenty more to come. My mates and I run a website chronicling our automotive adventures www.autofocus.net.au and associated Instagram page, so she'll receive plenty of coverage on there!

IMG_8277 copy by Alex Bryden, on Flickr

Also, a special thanks to a few members who have answered my questions and offered advice, particularly woosh - you're a champ!

Progress Update: 04/09/17

Chassis
- 1M/E9x front sway bar
- E9x M3 front upper (thrust arm + tension strut) and lower (wishbone) control arms
- Rear Nolathane subframe bushes
- 3mm spacers F / BMS 10mm spacers R
- Camber pin mod
- CDV delete

Noise
- 135i (N55) backbox
- Injen intake

Exterior
- Stubby aerial
- Carbon front splitters
- AC Schnitzer Type 3 18x8.5" ET43 wheels
- 235/40/18 Bridgestone RE003 tyres
- Rear LCI Darklines
- LED side indicators
- OEM Aero spoiler

Interior
- ZHP gearkob
- BMS clutchstop
- eBay aluminium pedals
- eBay gear and handbrake gaitors

Untitled by autofocus .net.au, on Flickr

Last edited by walkie86; 09-04-2017 at 03:24 AM..
Appreciate 0