View Single Post
      10-08-2011, 10:48 AM   #12
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Using a standard iPod USB cable will only work for music on the iPod that is in standard MP3 format. More details can be found here:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19779
Quote:

2. How do I connect my Ipod to the car using a standard iPod USB Cable?

If you have a standard iPod USB cable you can connect you iPod to the car with it. The USB connector plugs in to the USB port under the armrest (this option may not be installed in all cars).

In this case the iPod is charged, controlled and delivers track information and the music data files over the USB cable. There is no requirement for a 1/8” connection to the Aux port of the 1er.

If you desire, the Aux port can still be used for another MP3 player, PC, Satellite radio reveiver, or any other music source with a standard Headphone out, as documented below.

This option CAN ONLY be used to play MP3 tracks on the iPod, if you have downloaded or “Ripped” any songs using iTunes, that are in AAC format, these songs WILL NOT play using a standard USB Cable. If you require to play AAC format tracks you MUST use the “Y-Cable” documented above.

If everything is working, select USB from the Audio options on the HU, the “DIR” soft button should appear immediately, and the first track found should start playing, within the next 1 to 60 minutes the “LIST”, “ART”, “GEN”, and “ALB” options should appear on the HU. Due to how music is stored on the iPod, the DIR button will not let you select any music, you will have to wait until the other option buttons are populated (unless you have copied music on the iPod into directories as a “Removable Storage Device).
I'm not sure when it happened, but certainly on the 2012 128i non-idrive, this is no longer viable. Even with an ipod full of MP3 files, using just a standard ipod cable doesn't work. One now has to use the "Y" cable, suffer the lower sound quality of the headphone output, and occupy both the Aux in and the USB connection.

Hopefully those reading the FAQ read through the comments, too, until it is updated.

(and of course, since the rebirth of the forum numbering scheme, the link no longer goes to the right place either)
Appreciate 0