View Single Post
      12-02-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Arrow

The 1M uses the SAME 6MT trans as the N55 does. It has been reported in teh past that BMW says the Performance SSK does not fit N55's (and hence the 1M). The reason is bc the N55's use a different shift "arm" or "carrier" than the N54's use.

#1 in the bellow diagram is what I am referring too. This is the "arm" or "carrier".

Name:  N54_shifter_parts.png
Views: 3306
Size:  8.1 KB

#8 is the shift lever arm. This part is also changed in the Perf SSK. I would "think" that you could replace the 1M part with the Perf SSK and have 85% of the short feel of the SSK. But I have never seen anyone post about doing such a mod. I would use this shift arm from the Perf SSK: bmw # 25110434217

Bellow is my (stock) "arm" or "carrier" from my N54 after I had the Perf SSK installed. This part is indeed stamped with a N54 logo.

Name:  IMG_6753.jpg
Views: 3195
Size:  79.6 KB

You should ALWAYS replace this ball or plastic bushing/bearing when working on the shifter. I would also order some extra C-clips bc you will loose one... and its a PIA to find one at the dealer when your car is up in the air. Btw... most shops only charge 1 hours labor for the install. That is what my BMW Zentrum charged me. Plus they had to drop the mid pipes to have more room to put those damm c-clips back on.
Name:  IMG_6760.jpg
Views: 3321
Size:  82.1 KB

Also... FYI... here are the shifter throws...

N54 = 80 mm throws (1st to 2nd)
N55 = 70 mm throws
N54 w/Perf SSK 55 mm throws.

Many ppl have said that the Perf SSK is one heck of a great mod. I have to agree. It is a MUST HAVE mod on any 6MT BMW, along with the "CDV delete" mod.

Dackel
Appreciate 0