11-14-2017, 10:38 AM   #40
blackmist222777
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
A lot of the cars (including mine) aren't being driven much because they were never purchased by the (current) owners to be DD vehicles. I never expected to put more than maybe 2000 miles/year on it, and I haven't over my period of ownership. Once a car gets to be 5 years old, especially if it is one that is expensive to maintain out of warranty, there are really only 2 viable approaches to it, either (1), drive it hard until the wheels fall off, or, (2), treat it like a garage queen and only drive it for fun.

In the case of #1, you are basically accepting a high cost of maintenance, but since there isn't going to be much further depreciation, there is an offset. In the case of #2, it's a collectible toy that you use as such. People who bought the 1M to own it under scenario #2, are not going to use it as a DD vehicle, no matter what.
I dont think I was making an argument for or against the philosophy of ownership. I am just stating the facts. The fact is, many cars have low miles for the year. many cars are expected to go up in value faster than others. but all of this doesnt really matter... At the end of the day, a car is only worth what someone will pay for it.

I will say this... We had a 2013 BMW 328i. my wife's car. she loooooved it. however with a baby on the way we needed something bigger. It was an eye opening experience to see the value drop through the floor on that car. i was underwater on it and just needed to suck it up. However with cars like the 1M dont put you in that same position. you can always find someone that will consider that car simply because of the low build numbers. the 328i is a great car but when BMW makes a million of them, it drives huge depreciation. darn supply and demand!

2023 G80 M3
2020 F87 M2C
2011 E82 BMW 1M Series Coupe
Check me out at Point.Shift.Drive (YouTube)
Appreciate 0