08-31-2010, 11:38 PM   #50
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnat View Post
Then you probably won't like this

I can actually see a valid argument for the 135 taking less skill as a daily driver even if you are pushing it beyond legal limits (but not to either yours or the car's), having fun with on/off ramps, etc... With the 128, you have to better understand how the engine performs and how you need to work the transmission to get the best effect when playing with it like that. Because of the power of the 135, you can get away with being a little sloppy in how you apply the power (e.g. to go from 65 to 85 most people will be impressed with what the 135 will do in 6th while the 128 will require going down to 5th or even 4th to get that same "wow" factor).

I would also argue that at the limits (e.g. track), the 135 doesn't take any more skill over the 128. They just take different skill sets (assuming the power train is the only difference between the cars) based on how they apply their power.

Now I will agree that, because of the additional power and all that goes with it, you should have a higher skill set as the 135 is going to get to your personal limits before the 128 and result in more unprepared idiots in accidents.

Don't get me wrong though, I think the 135 is a great car and would be getting it instead of a 128 if I thought that BMW knew how to build a sound turbo system (e.g. HPFP issues still not proven to be solved). They both have their own unique skill requirements and benefits/detriments.
You can be "sloppy" in how you apply the power of 300hp and 300lb ft?
You're kidding, you've got to be.
If what your shoveling is true, than one of the easiest to drive sloppoly cars would be a Z06. Yeah, right. Go drive one and go ahead and be sloppy with your power application. You'll wonder why you made such a statement as it spits you off into the weeds.

There is no "unique skill" required to drive a 128i versus a 135i.
It's not like you're going from a rear engine RWD Porsche and into a FWD front engine SRT4, where this is a big change in how to drive each one.
You're comparing basically the SAME car between a 128i and 135i.

All of the skills and techniques you just described are as applicable to the 135i.
To say the 128i requires more skill or concentration is simply ego stroking.
I can't believe you would even make such a statement and expect to be taken seriously.
Appreciate 0