08-31-2010, 02:31 PM   #38
SlicktopTTZ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 91 300ZX Twin-Turbo, 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alow View Post
The part that really stuck out to me from the article is when he says something along the lines of with the 135i, you just put your foot down and steer. With the 128i, you _have_ to drive the car - downshift, etc. I notice this all the time.. when I want lazy driving, I just keep it in low rpms and it is a quiet, comfortable machine. If I am feeling the need for recklessness I stay above 4k rpms and it is a lot of fun!!

He also mentions how the brakes are great for the street, but they lack the urgent bite of the brembos in the 135i. I couldn't agree more. I upgraded the brakes to the BMW performance and loved the bite. With the stock brakes, I had to work hard to get 0.6 gs of deceleration, now its no sweat! very noticeable!

I also love my 128i.
I can guarantee you, my 6-speed 135i requires shifting as well in order to minimize lap times at autocross....

Also, both the 128i and 135i require you to "put down your foot and steer". To say you HAVE to shift in the 128i and not in the 135i is retarded. Both engines uses gears to their advantage....

To the guy that was having over-steer problems: I drift this car a lot, and it works surprisingly well considering the open diff. The trick is to be prepared for the torque hit when the turbos come on, it's almost like I progressively throw in counter-steer as the wheels spin harder from boost coming on. I agree, it IS much different than throwing around a NA engine.
Appreciate 0