View Single Post
      04-02-2018, 12:53 PM   #16
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
My $.10 into this:

Dual-Mass Flywheels are made of two parts, carefully engineered to reduce harshness and vibrations from the drivetrain. The springs and various mechanicals wear-out over time leading to a clunking sound when shifting and starting-off.

Single-Mass Flywheels are made of only one solid part, and the only maintenance needed is a rare resurfacing when you replace the clutch. A SMFW should permanently fix all DMFW-related issues...

If the DMFW is bad enough, you could definitely feel this slop when driving which would cause something like the stuttering that you experience.

The ticka-tacka sound (for me) was the direct result of installing stiffer transmission mounts, which have a lesser damping effect for vibrations than stock. If I remember correctly, it's the result of some built-in play in the driveline being exaggerated as a result of the increased vibrations.