View Single Post
      02-15-2009, 07:24 PM   #75
UncleJesse
Have mercy!
Rep
Drives: Trolley Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoni View Post
Wow, do you know WTF "PERSONAL EXPERIENCE" means? It's not "simply making a statement." Simply making a statement would be if I said "Blacks all have curly pubes." Have I ever even seen a black person's pubes? No. If, however, I said "My pubes aren't curly" that's not just pulling a statement out of my ass, it's OBSERVATION & EXPERIENCE.

So tell me, how is a scientist checking out my pubes in a laboratory "self-supporting" yet me checking out my own pubes is "simply making a statement"? Get off Science's nuts.
your example is so utterly irrelevant i dont even know how to address it. you have completely missed the point.

'personal experience' of a single person is an n=1 situation. the sample size is 1. regardless of what is experienced in 1 person, it is statistically insignificant. it has no bearing on anything. if the same is observed in 2 people, the statistical significance has increased, but it still does not carry much weight. if the same is observed in 100 people, then that is what is considered statistically significant. the results can be attributed to the factor under consideration. the better the study is controlled and conducted, the more telling the study is.

a single person (i.e., you) claiming that they know what works 'for them' is irrelevant. there is no control. and the placebo effect is a powerful phenomenon. in this situation, a person could attribute a certain effect with the wrong cause. a person could be convinced that taking 1 asprin per day has caused them to lose weight, when in reality it is due to a lower calorie intake due to high stress, or maybe because they started using a push mower instead of paying a landscaper, or their wive started cooking healthier food, etc.

this is why personal experience holds no weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markoni
Who the fuck pays someone to study the effects of Ephedrine? Let me guess, some super-rich old man is laying there on his death bed and he says to his lawyer who's sitting by his side "Incorporate $20 million into my will to help find out the effects of Ephedrine. The World deserves to know. I've been blessed with so much in my life. This is my way to give back."

I mean, seriously, do you think about the bullshit you say or are you such a science geek that you can't think objectively? NO ONE funds Ephedrine research other than those who make Ephedrine and those who make rival products. It's not in their interest to find the truth. It's in their interest to drum up claims that support their interest. Seriously, do you live in the real world, or do you still leave cookies out for Santa come Christmastime?
ill have an answer for you shortly (i really will).
Appreciate 0