07-08-2018, 01:59 PM   #124
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by N & M View Post
Sorry but that is a nostalgic view. Perhaps when the end the M2 and is it no longer available, you will appreciate it for the gem that it is up by then the performance game would have moved on and it would be eclipsed by a faster (and hopefully) more fun car that people will say is not as good as the original.
Nostalgic view is what the 1M is exactly about. It was built by Kay Segler who had a nostalgic view of what M cars had been and should still be. Simple, pure, exciting. Many of us love them because they give you something you can't get anymore. The no-nav cockpit is so simple and lovely...there is nothing today that gives you that. The M2 cockpit is too busy, gadgety and focus is diluted. The cockpit the 1M is basically says, you will get your kicks from driving not staring a glowing M2 logo where the oil temp gauge should go.

Yes it harkens back to a time where guys changed their own oil and cared what the oil temperature was. It goes back to a time where you valued steering feedback and good dynamics. Where you wanted something simple and fast and you wanted to change your own gears.

So yes, it is all about Nostalgia for sure. I miss the days where mortal enemies Gore Vidal and William Buckley would debate their strongly held positions with intelligent, cogent, respectful and well articulated discussions instead of the shouting we see today.

I think the problem is you think Nostalgia is bad but some people think simplicity is beautiful and more so in these days where it is harder to find. Simplicity is rare now and the 1M was the last BMW made that celebrated simplicity. There the excitement would come from primarily from driving.

Yes, the M2 is special enough compared to many modern cars to still be desirable in the future but it was not as special as the 1M that was a labor of love. the M2 was a wholly a business decision and engineered and built with that as its main focus. So while a great car, it is still more diluted than the 1M. You get comfort button, glowing M2 logo instead of oil temp, big screen on top of dash, idrive, only power seats and power folding mirrors, fake sound, auto blip, etc etc etc.

So it is not the fastest, best handling, most reliable M car. I would say the E46 M3 Competition in Manual transmission is because that car takes me back to a time where cars had amazing no lag sound, firm manly suspension and great steering feedback but the 1M has a special place because it was BMWs last gasp at building a car for the few remaining nostalgic fans they had left. After the 1M, the cars are built for the masses. Remember if you wanted a 1M, you could only have it in Manual transmission....this was targetted at a small group of enthusiasts, not the case for every other BMW since.
Appreciate 6
10"4974.50
seis-speed2430.50
Win42.00
1'M Blue254.00
The_Werm212.00