bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I was surprised with how worn my rear brakes were when I replaced them. They were not close to hitting the backing plates but I am used to seeing a lot more on the rears than the fronts.

I think the reason my rears were worn more than I expected is the same as why "bmw1racer" sees his as more worn on the back. BMW designed our cars to use the rear brakes to stabilize the car when we drive aggressively. Each time the stability control engages, the rear brakes are used to keep the car from spinning. The more you make the stability control work, the less rear brake material you have left. I am not saying I know the front brakes are never used for this but I am pretty sure it is normally the rear brakes being used.

A simple way this happens is if I try to accelerate too quickly away from a light when the road is wet. One of my rear tires wants to spin. The DSC stops that by braking that wheel. That removes a little brake material. My car does not fish tail.
Interesting theory, but as I mentioned in my previous post, I think the rears are thinner than the fronts by design, judging from the replacements I bought.