View Single Post
      11-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
pezzy669
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

'08 128i - Auto trans problems - 57k miles

Since the temperature has dropped significantly here there have been some issues with the auto trans in the spouses 128i which only now am I finding out about. 57k miles, purchased CPO 1.5 years ago with 44k miles so some warranty remaining.

Over the weekend as a passenger I noticed it was holding gears far longer than normal. Imagine driving around in DS constantly at light throttle openings, for example singing along at 3000-3500 RPM at a 35MPH cruise for 30-45 seconds then abruptly shifting into the next higher gear.

Have been borrowing the car since Monday to see what other symptoms it is displaying and the trans operation is pretty frightening to say the least.

Erratic shift patterns - it has been near freezing with rain for the past 2 days so even with very gentle throttle inputs it is shifting at normal 2000-2400 RPM until I believe 3rd gear then it will wind out until 3000-3500 RPM and hang there. It will eventually upshift, sometimes smoothly and occasionally like you were rear ended from behind. Also hangs in gears after the uphill grade logic downshifts, seems to have the most issues with 3.

Poor shifting - In addition to the poor shifts out of 3rd it is jerking and banging on slow speed downshifts into all gears as well as slamming into reverse or drive on the first shift out of park in the morning.

There are no unusual noises and the operation does NOT improve as the engine/trans warm up. Going to try the trans adaptation reset (ignition on/engine off - accelerator to floor for 30 seconds) to see if that helps anything. Trans fluid has never been touched on the car, going to try to find an independent BMW mechanic that will drain/fill the fluid.

Known problem transmission? Was under the impression the GM sourced units were more robust than the ZF units.
Appreciate 0