08-04-2012, 12:23 AM   #14
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
If you are going to track it and want to reduce "heat soak" or increase boost a bit then inter cooler will help. Bigger intercooler however means more lag as There is more air volume to compress. Everyone keeps focusing on HP figures but no one is addressing throttle response. If you are driving aggressively on track you can maintain boost but on the street the intercooler is likely to increase lag a bit. That is the last thing you want in a street car. That is why engineers try to keep plumbing and intercooler to a minimum. There is a lot of expense and some cutting usually to get more lag around town IMO, so unless you are using it quite a bit on track or autocross it doesn't make sense. Then once you modify the intercooler for track/autocross you open up a can of worms when it comes to class. Now you are running modified classes. Good luck.
Theoretically, the increased volume will increase lag. However, practically the intercooler volume is so small compare to the plumbing it doesn't make much difference and it is more than compensate by less pressure drop from most aftermarket intercooler design. I actually get better response after I replace my intercooler.
Appreciate 0